Mom lessons – Kiddy Science Classes at Home
I write on mom lessons. And I heard that big cities now have classes on toddler science. So I thought I will try to write on that topic. You know babies, toddlers, preschoolers and even older kids are naturally curious. Natural explorers. So why not consciously do activities that encourage this?
Here are some ideas I had:
- Take oil, soap, lemon juice, salt, sugar, sand and a big glass of water. Mix each one by one into the water with your kid and see their reactions. Explain ‘water soluble’ and ‘insoluble’ substances. Kids love these ‘explanations’ of things they do in daily life and maybe even intuitively know
- Light a candle and then snuff it out by cutting off the Oxygen. In a safe candle, let your older child do it on his own. Explain how flame needs air to survive (just like we breathe in air)
- Ask Newton’s great question when your toddler spills his snack next time. Why does the apple fall down, not up. And answer it. Talk to about space if your child is older and show some videos on astronauts on you tube or get a library book
- Grow something together – a herb garden, a tomato plant and observe the stages. Some toy stores have kids available to watch plants grow but they are not really neccessary.
- Keep some peas in water or lentils in water for sprouting. Show how roots grow from sprouts. Or just save your old potatoes and onions to show how plants spring from them.
- When flowers wither in their vases, explain why
Our life is peppered with science and its many manifestations. These are just a few examples, I am sure you can think of many more. My point is – another fun things for stay at home mom lessons for their kids or just things for you to do with your kids on a slow day.
Last 5 posts by Dora
- Hair Conditioning Tip - November 7th, 2010
- Easy to Clean Measuring Cups - October 11th, 2010
- The Emergency Bag - September 13th, 2010
- Potpourri - August 22nd, 2010
- Summer Tip and a touch of spa - July 17th, 2010