The first job interview here in the States
I am no job interview expert. I wont call this the best advice or professional advice, but I thought I would share what I learnt here by going through interviews myself and interviewing others.
- Dress American. I dont mean just wearing Western Clothes. I mean shopping for cool, fashionable Western formals from good shops here, maybe adding something stylish like a colorful scarf, or a necklace. I had a lot of good Western clothes from India, but they were just not in ‘style’ here and painfully obvious. There is nothing wrong with that, of course, but in an interview I think people like to see people they are comfortable working with and would like to do business with.
- Prepare a short, one page resume if you are in ‘business’, IT jobs I have seen can handle longer resumes. This one may be debatable, but the resumes here are shorter than in many other parts of the world
- Feel free and actually do remember to ask questions, and voice your concerns. Companies are happy to answer these and rules around this are much less formal. Your questions are usually interpreted as interest and seriousness in joining the team.
- You dont have to know all the answers, and you dont have to be defensive. People respect talent from the world, and judge on your approach, not neccessarily exact knowledge
- Be and show confidence – companies are realizing its a global marketplace!
- Dont overdo conversations about cultural differences, but dont appear defensive either.
- Dont speak too fast ( I have an accent and this was one of my banes!) and count to five before answering (its not quiz time!)
Ok, thats all I can think of now. I am sure you may have things to add and debate, please do! I would love to learn how to crack interviews myself, as jobs here are different.
All the best!
Last 5 posts by Amrita Bakshi
- Self Publishing How To's - Tips on Self Publishing Success - May 18th, 2010
- Office Politics - April 29th, 2010
- Five tips for a networking event - March 22nd, 2010
- H4 Visa Volunteer Jobs - 5 things to remember - February 14th, 2010
- H4 Visa - The most romantic visa? - February 13th, 2010